We want our friends in Leander and the surrounding areas to stay safe out there, follow recommended CDC1 and Texas government guidelines for staying healthy, and taking care of themselves. The best and easiest way to do that – especially if you can’t stay indoors or you have exposure to someone else on the outside – is to wash your hands.
Why Is Hand Washing So Important?
COVID-19 is spreading through droplets that come from sneezing or coughing of an infected person, and the virus can stay active for several days on surfaces2. The easiest way to pick it up is to touch a surface where the infection is present, then touch a mucous membrane like your eyes or nose.
If you’re washing your hands regularly and committing to not touching your face, the chance of infection decreases.
Here are some tips we’ve heard from our community members throughout this outbreak:
● Wear less makeup, so you’re less inclined to touch your face.
● Come up with a “hand washing” song or part of a song that takes at least 20 seconds to sing.
● Scrub under your fingernails when you wash your hands.
● Make hand sanitizer at home yourself if there is no other option3, to help bypass the hand sanitizer shortages going on right now.
● Carry extra moisturizer or lotion to combat dry hands.
● Sneeze or cough into the crook of your elbow. This is especially important if you need to leave home to pick up food, head to the doctor or go grocery shopping. Vulnerable populations are utilizing those places, so we all need to do our best to protect our community members.
Our community members are everything to us, and here at Bar W Ranch Leander, we want to continue to build this community with the highest standards of care. Stay safe out there, and watch out for more community news in the coming weeks from Bar W.